Convicted felons tend to face quite a hard time landing a job after being released from prison. People can be quite judgmental which makes it rather difficult for the ex-felons to leave their past behind. At such times, they are often left wondering about the jobs that they can do without their past catching up.
If you are wondering whether you could become a truck driver despite having a criminal record, the answer is in affirmative. However, there are certain conditions involved and various factors that influence the final outcome of your endeavor.
There are a number of companies that are opening to hire felons even if they have multiple convictions. Overall, the companies tend to take into account the time when the conviction was passed, the type of felony committed, and the frequency of convictions.
What you need to know about finding truck driving jobs with a felony
When you head for finding trucking companies which do not object to hiring felons, there are certain things that would have an impact on your case.
For one thing, the company is going to take a rather keen look at your application and thus it is of immense importance that you are completely honest with it. Do not try to hide information because no company hires without running a background check on the candidates.
Since you have a felony, your chances of landing a job would be improved if you make up for it in other areas. The points that are of importance to the trucking companies include the following:
- A steady employment background is given attention to wherein it is observed whether you have any unexplainable gaps in your employment.
- Your chances would be improved if you have done graduation from an approved truck driving school or are open to the idea of training.
- CDL driving record also enhances your chances.
- You will have a better chance of landing a job if you have a clean driving record with no convictions for reckless driving.
What disqualifies you from getting a CDL and becoming a truck driver?
While it is possible to become a truck driver and be hired despite having the history as a felon, there are certain situations which might render you disqualified from getting a CDL which in turn would fail your attempt of becoming a trucker.
The situations wherein you would face a tough time getting a CDL include:
- Use of a commercial vehicle for conducting a crime
- Charges of manslaughter using a vehicle
- Misconduct involving a vehicle
- History of reckless driving that led to a fatality
- Using a vehicle with a BAC of .08% or more
- Charges of extortion or bribery
- Smuggling or arson history
- Charges of treason or kidnapping
- Being convicted of assault with intent to murder
List of Felony Friendly Trucking Companies
Below are the transport companies who hire convicted felons with little or no experience. Some of these are even willing to train you. All you need to do now is contact them through their website for detailed requirements.
Note: The list is for reference only. The recruitment will be different for each individual.
- Dick Lavy Trucking
- Hunt Transportation (12 months experience required)
- Navajo Express, Inc.
- JBS Carriers (12 months experience required)
- Ozark Motor Lines, Inc.
- Premier Transportation
- Star Fleet Trucking
- Swift Transportation (offers training)
- TMC Transportation
- National Carriers
* Hiring felons after 10 years or more.
- Barr-Nunn Transportation (12 months experience required)
- Bennett Motor Express
- Estenson Logistics
- FirstFleet, Inc.
- Falcon Transport Co (6 months experience required)
- Hornady Transportation
- HVH Transportation
- Dependable Highway Express
- Interstate Distributor Co.
- Groendyke Transport, Inc.
- PGT Trucking
* Hiring felons after 7 years or more.
- Boyd Bros. Transportation
- Bear Trucking LLC
- Transway Inc.
- TransAm Trucking
- Paschall Truck Lines
- Carolina Cargo
- DeBoer Trucking Company
- Fischer Trucking
- Melton Truck Lines
- Metropolitan Trucking Inc.
- Salmon Companies
* Trucking companies that hire felons after 5 years or more.
- R. England
- S. Xpress
- Celadon Group (offers training)
- Covenant Transport
- Dart Transit Company
- Knight Transportation
- Lone Star Transportation
- Maverick Transportation
- May Trucking Company
- Midwest Motor Express
- Millis Transfer (offers training)
- PAM Transport
- Roehl Transport
- Schneider (offers training)
- Trimac Transportation
- USA Truck (offers training)
- Werner Enterprises
- XPO Logistics, Inc.
- B. Hunt
- Frozen Food Express
- Prime Inc. (offers training)
* Hiring felons on a case by case basis.